International Academy of Denver
FAMILY & STUDENT & SCHOOL COMPACT
As a parent and guardian, I understand the importance of my active participation in my child’s education. I have reviewed the Family and Student Handbook with my child and am aware of school expectations and policies.
I agree to:
- Keep up to date parent contact information, including active phone numbers, in the school throughout the year
- Respond to all incoming phone calls from the school throughout the day
- Address staff, administration, students and community members in a respectful, professional and courteous manner
- Address my child’s behavior with them each night including progress they are making towards their academic and behavior goals.
- Attend parent-teacher conferences twice a year.
- Check notices sent home each week.
- Support my child with homework and return to school on time.
- Read with student and/or make time for them to read every day for at least 30 minutes.
- Maintain regular communication with the school about students’ academic and social progress.
- EVERY DAY, ON TIME. Bring student to school on time unless they have a fever or need to see a doctor.
- Attend at least one other family event during the school year (Family Night, school Performance, Field Day or other).
All students will receive a “Thursday Folder” from their teacher. This folder will go home weekly and must be returned. It will contain your child’s work and homework from the week, as well as other information from school.
Please keep an eye out for the monthly newsletter will be sent home in the “Thursday Folder”. Families who need more than one newsletter simply need to inform the child’s teacher.
International Academy Homepage
We have a homepage on the Internet. The International Academy of Denver web site can also be found through the DPS Home Page or at: http://harrington.dpsk12.org
Please make sure you are signed up to receive weekly phone calls from our Head of School. Additional family resources and information are posted on our parent board, outside the school library. Make sure the office has your phone number to ensure you receive Robo-Calls.
SAFE SCHOOL GUIDELINES & PROCEDURES
EMERGENCY CONTACT INFORMATION
It is critical that our school be able to contact families throughout the school day and in the case of an emergency. Please ensure that you are receiving weekly robo-calls from our Head of School.
If your numbers change, you must present new contact information with front office. Sharing new information with the classroom teacher does not suffice in ensuring our systems are updated.
SCHOOL WIDE EMERGENCIES
If a crisis situation develops, please note and follow the procedures listed below:
- In the case of a building evacuation (which will be determined in conjunction with DPS Safety and Security and the Instructional Superintendent), we are required to have two sites for possible use depending on the situation. The first site preference is Bruce Randolph Middle School. The second evacuation site preference is Manual High School. Notification will be made via website, robo-call on which site is being used. Parents can pick up their students at that location. Students will only be released to people listed on the emergency card. Photo Identification will be required.
- In the case of a lockdown of the building, all students will remain in the building until the lockdown is lifted and no one will be able to enter or leave the building during the lockdown with the exception of emergency personnel (police, fire, DPS Safety and Security). When the lockdown is lifted, then we will be able to allow parents to pick up their students. Parents, if you approach the building and it is in lockdown, the safest thing you can do, is return to your car and wait patiently. This will ensure your safety as well as your child’s.
- In the case of severe weather during school hours, for the most efficient dissemination of information, please listen to local TV/radio, and/or call the DPS Weather Hotline (720) 423-3200 regarding school delay starts and/or early closures before calling the school or picking us your student.